Thursday, October 9, 2008

Letter to Chickadee: 6 weeks

Darling Chickadee,

I am now 6 weeks pregnant, which makes you 4 weeks old. I've thought about doing this before now, but I haven't. You already know I think about you every day and talk to you every day. Can you hear my voice yet? Does your soul recognize mine?

According to what I've read, you are currently the size of a lentil bean or a sweet pea. I'm amazed that in the nearly three weeks since we found out you were on the way just how much you've grown. From a microscopic ball of cells to something I could pick up with my fingers. How amazing you are! I still have trouble believing you are in there sometimes.

Your little heart should have started beating in the last few days, and already, just 28 days after you were conceived, you should have blood flowing through your veins. Your eyes and nostrils are forming, and I wonder whether you'll get your Daddy's eyes or mine, and we both hope you get my nose (though I expect we'll see). Already, your ears are beginning to form and little buds have appeared where your arms and legs will be in just a couple of weeks.

I can't wait to see you wave to me and to feel you kick me. I can't wait to count your fingers and toes and kiss the tip of your nose. Everyday, I grow a little less afraid of losing you early and I enjoy more this time we have together. I really have begun to feel like you are settling in with me for a nice long visit.

Daddy and I were so excited to find out you were coming. Already, even though you are only as big as a sweet pea, we love you so much. We have so many hopes for you and dreams for your life. Right now, as I type, Daddy and I are watching the Spurs play the Rockets in a pre-season game. We can't wait to take you to a game and to teach you all about basketball. We might even let you watch the Rockets some, but remember, honey, you'll always be a Spurs fan first.

Little Chickadee, I think about you nearly all the time. I wonder so much about you - what you'll look like, whether you are a boy or girl (right now, I think girl, btw and so does Daddy). I wonder if you'll have your daddy's sense of humor or your mother's love of reading. I wonder what you will be like and what you'll want to do in life. There is so much I want to show you - how seeds grow into beautiful flowers, how peaceful it is to sit near a window on a rainy day, the beauty of a full moon. So snuggle in, dear Chickie, and get comfortable. Grow well. We'll be seeing you soon.

Lots of love,

Mama and Daddy

No comments: