Thursday, December 11, 2008

Hope

Yesterday evening, as we stood outside and swirling, big, fluffy flakes of snow danced around us, I felt great. Happy, hopeful, positive, and peaceful. This felt like a sign. A sign that something good is about to happen.

I still felt that way this morning. And everyone agreed - there is something in the air. Naturally, my first thought is of pregnancy, but really, I don't think there is any sort of link. I just feel like something good is coming.

When I think about pregnancy though - I feel my heart start beating faster and I feel something that is between hope and panic. Ten minutes ago, I was thinking how peaceful and hopeful I feel about our chances this cycle. Last night I felt really, really good - probably linked with whatever excitement was in the air - but I really had this moment of 'oh, yes! this is it!' and further a moment of ' if this is it, I feel good about it. Not nervous. I feel like if this is it, this one is ok.'

Now? I feel discouraged and anxious and as if I'm boarding a roller coaster. I made the mistake of comparing charts and pregnancy signs. Even looking back at my pregnancy chart, as if there is some preset formula for how one feels in a pregnancy cycle. Sigh. It's not the same, and I feel downhearted. I so want to be pregnant right now, pregnant with Chickadee, or pregnant again. I want to be back in that hopeful place.

I wish last night's serenity and joy would fill me again. I need that hope back. I don't pray much anymore; I've been too angry. But I find myself repeating a litany in my head - and it's not just words, there is a yearning and a reaching out - a litany of "Please God, please God, let this be it. Let this be my sticky, healthy, growing baby. Please God, please God, let this be it." Over and over.

No comments: